Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hinksey, Oxford

Joanna and I had quick walk this morning through a small wood at the Hinksey golf club. It was terribly windy and cold, but we did spot a few good birds including Green Woodpecker, Blackcap and several Chiffchaff's. The best bird, and only my second-ever sighting, was a Great Spotted Woodpecker. Later on in the day, while visiting family, we also had a good look at a Song Thrush.

Of interest today, I just started reading The Biggest Twitch by Alan Davis and Ruth Miller. The book is written chronologically as the authors describe the unravelling of their great adventure around the world to see the most species in a single year, and to beat the current record of 3,662 species set by Jim Clements. I've only got past the prologue and to the end of January 3rd, but I am utterly hooked. So far it's a great read - if only the publishers had used a slightly larger font though.

Until next time, happy birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment